30th Annual Hall of Fame Ceremony—October 25, 2008
At this annual event, the Jefferson Co. Historical Commission announces the winners of its History Writers’ Awards, introduces the annual Hall of Fame honorees, celebrates this year’s designated Historic Landmarks, and distributes the annual issue of Historically Jeffco magazine.
Each year, the Commission honors one living and one deceased person who have contributed significantly to the history or historical record of Jefferson County. Please
see Hall of Fame for more information or to download nomination forms. See complete list of persons designated by year; also available as an alphabetical list. William A. Knott
Political, Public Service, Education
Nominated by Conrad Gardner
In 1971, Bill Knott and his wife moved to Colorado, where he took over as county librarian for Jefferson County, a position he held until his retirement in 2007. He turned Jefferson County’s library system from one-room affairs to state-of-the-art facilities. Through his efforts and leadership, the library system is nationally recognized as a pioneer and model for other systems throughout the country. Bill has fought for readers’ rights and enhanced internet services for library users. Today, more than half of Jefferson County’s citizens are library card-holders.Hal Shelton
Cartographer, Artist, Community Advocate
Hal Shelton was born in 1916 in New York State but grew up in California. Field mapping experience during World War II led him to a life-long career with the U.S. Geological Survey. As an artist and teacher, he found the map symbology then used to be outdated and specialized, and set out to revise it. Becoming a terrain artist, he improved the quantity and quality of shaded relief used on maps, emphasizing topographic form and relative elevation, as well as natural color rendering. The U.S. Library of Congress commissioned him to paint a landscape, Canyon Lands, which is now housed there.
After the war, Hal and his wife Mary settled in Jefferson County, where they raised four sons. From 1958 to 1969, he served as an elected member of the Jefferson Co. Board of Education and, in 1968, was a primary founder of the Foothills Art Center.