Every year, individuals and organizations across the county are active in preserving some aspect of Jeffco’s built history. In 2010, JCHC initiated a new tradition of recognizing special contributions to preservation of our valuable historic resources in the county.This award is named in honor of the Norman and Ethel Meyer Family, who were honored as the first recipients, in recognition of their longstanding efforts to preserve evidence and structures from Jefferson County’s ranching history. Their dedication is evident in Meyer Ranch, much of which is now protected as Open Space; their preservation of the Midway House, their home since 1950; Norm’s long service to the Jefferson County Historical Commission; his preservation work on historic toll roads in the Conifer area; and designation of the Lubin-Blakeslee House and Meyer Ranch large barn as county landmarks.
Recipients to date and a few of their accomplishments are:2015: Lariat Loop Heritage Alliance
The Lariat Loop Heritage Alliance was formed in 2000 to promote the natural and cultural heritage along the 40-mile Loop that runs from Golden to the top of Lookout Mountain, continuing to I-70, on to Evergreen, down Bear Creek to Morrison, and back to Golden. In 2009, thanks to the efforts of the Alliance, this route was designated a National Scenic Byway. This partnership of heritage organizations includes museums, parks, businesses, and chambers of commerce. Interpretive kiosks have been installed at Beverly Heights (Golden), downtown Morrison, downtown Evergreen, and the Buffalo Bill Museum. Two more sites are under development. 2014: Friends of Dinosaur Ridge (FoDR)
For 25 years and more of preservation work on Jeffco’s prehistoric resources at Dinosaur Ridge and Triceratops Trail, as well as an outstanding record of public education and interpretation. The Friends, with a corps of dedicated volunteers and a handful of staff members, manage programs and tours at two visitor centers and now host 100,000 visitors a year.
2013: Jefferson County Open Space (JCOS)
For stewardship of more than 52,000 acres, much of which includes historic ranch lands; restoration and management of historic structures including Hiwan Homestead, Boettcher Mansion, and Baehrden Lodge, maintaining their public use as assets to the regional community. In 2012, JCOS celebrated its 40th anniversary in land preservation.
2012: Pine-Elk Creek Improvement Association (PECIA) and Friends of the North Fork Historic District
For restoration and stewardship of the Pine Grove Methodist Church (now the Pine Grove Community Center), designation of six county landmarks in the community, establishing and updating the North Fork Historic District, and spearheading the formal return of the historic name “Pine Grove.” PECIA has been active in the Pine Grove area since 1947, creating a strong community presence through the annual Rhubarb Festival and, in recent years, sponsoring historic tours for elementary school students.
2011: Golden Landmarks Association (GLA)
For saving the Astor House from demolition in 1971; working to achieve national register designation for five historic buildings and three historic districts; saving other area landmarks, some now part of Clear Creek History Park; and saving and restoring the Brickyard House. GLA is one of the oldest non-profit historic preservation organizations in Colorado.
2010: Norman and Ethel Meyer and Family
For inspiring this award through their efforts to preserve family ranch structures and historic sites throughout Conifer. See also above list.