Dwight Porter Wilmot and his family settled in Evergreen in 1875. The house and several outbuildings, which also survive, were built between 1875 and 1880. Although modified by subsequent owners, the property has been lovingly restored and cared for by the Hardman Family, who nominated it for Landmark status.
The Wilmot Property was designated July 7, 2008, on the basis of its significance for local history and its association with D.P. Wilmot, who was a teacher and member of the Board of Education in Evergreen, a County Commissioner, and a State Legislator. He donated land for Wilmot Elementary School, which is named after him. The Hardmans found this photo of Wilmot in their attic.