This monument, ironically located outside of the Town limits, tells the story of the founding of the Town of Morrison by George Morrison. It stands just south of Morrison Road, near the entrance to Bear Creek Lake Park. Built of chunks of white quartz, it suggests the handiwork of Alex Rooney, and his interest in the history of the area, as the Rooneys were known to build memorials in quartz. See the grave of Otis and Christina Rooney, Alex’s parents.
The plaque on the monument reads:
THIS TABLET IS THE
PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF COLORADO
GEORGE MORRISON (1822-1895),
OF SCOTTISH ANCESTRY AND A NATIVE OF
CANADA, CAME TO COLORADO IN THE
PIKE’S PEAK GOLD RUSH OF 1859.
HE ACQUIRED THIS LAND IN 1864.
HE WAS AN ORGANIZER OF THE MORRISON
TOWN COMPANY (1872), WHICH HELPED TO
BRING THE DENVER, SOUTH PARK AND
PACIFIC NARROW GAUGE RAILROAD
TO THE TOWN IN 1874.
THE STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF COLORADO
WILLIAM A. BRAIDEN FUND
THE RED ROCKS LIONS CLUB